The CODEL program may admit only candidates who meet the academic requirements for the Ed.D. degree program and who possess personal qualities and professional experiences that suggest a strong potential for success as doctoral candidates and as educational leaders. Meeting the minimum requirements qualifies an individual for consideration, but does not guarantee admission to the program. Admission will be granted on a competitive basis.
The CODEL program requires the following of all applicants for admission to the doctoral program:
- An earned baccalaureate degree and master’s degree from accredited institutions of higher education with a grade point average in upper division and graduate studies of 3.0 or above;
- Sufficient preparation and graduate training and experience pertinent to educational leadership to benefit from the program;
- Submission of Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores on the Verbal, Quantitative, and Written GRE tests, taken within the last five years;
- Demonstrated educational leadership potential and skills including successful experience in educational leadership in P12 schools, postsecondary education, community organizations, and/or other education policy development contexts;
- Demonstrated academic excellence, problem-solving ability, and an interest in critically assessing and bringing about improvements within current educational policies and practices;
- Three letters of recommendation attesting to the leadership, ability, and scholarship of the candidate;
- A written statement of purpose reflecting an understanding of the challenges facing the public schools or community colleges/institutions of higher education in California;
- Professional resume;
- Examples of professional and/or academic writings (e.g., masters thesis, school newsletters, program or grant proposals)
- A statement of support for the candidate’s doctoral studies from her/his employer;
- Response to a writing prompt administered on campus prior to the interview; and,
- A personal interview with the Admissions Committee.
Other university graduate admissions standards for graduate students also apply to all Ed.D. candidates.